New UX Walkthrough FAQ document. Contributed answers appreciated!

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 15:59:56 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.

Recently I have been helping members of the Atutor project with their
UX walkthrough. They are using our UX Evaluation Protocol and
Checklist (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/VAEa) and have been superb
in giving us feedback about the process. As a result of my discussions
with them, I have started a FAQ page which aims to address some of the
questions / issues raised. You can find this document here:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/UX+Walkthrough+FAQ

I would like to see members of the community contribute answers to
these questions (below is the current list of questions). Feel free to
add your own questions to the list. The document isn't complete and
doesn't address every Fluid UX Walkthrough protocol yet.

General FAQ:
Does it matter which order you do your evaluations?
Do I have to do each evaluation?
Which evaluation is best for me? Why would I choose one evaluation
over the other?
I do not have UX design related experience or anything similar, does it matter?
How much time does it take to do an evaluation?
What are the general steps in doing a UX walkthrough?

Heuristic Evaluation FAQ:
What is an heuristic evaluation? Why should I do one?
The application I am evaluating has design and layout issues. How do I
categorize these items?
How do I test "Error Prevention"?
What is "Flexibility and efficiency of use" and how do I test it?
The application I am evaluating "violates" many of the heuristics.
What should I do? Am I doing something wrong?

Cognitive Walkthrough FAQ:
What is a cognitive walkthrough? Why should I do one?
What is a persona and why should I use one?
How do I create a persona? What if I don't have time to do this?

Thanks all!

- Jonathan.

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002