[OSDPL] Feedback requested: proposed pattern workflow

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:42:15 UTC 2009

Allison,

Some really good questions.

1. Patterns "Disappearing" from public view during Review process

To help reduce confusion when a pattern "disappears", a special filter
will display patterns currently in Review. Also, if a user tries to
access a pattern that was previously in the Comments stage, we can
present them with an appropriate message telling them what happened to
it.

Alternatively, I think it is possible to keep a version visible to
registered users while another version is being revised.

I think in the end, we go with what we think makes most sense to a
pattern author. We can always take one approach and do some user
testing.

2. What happens to seemingly "orphaned" patterns that aren't
published? What happens to patterns published that weren't reviewed,
do they get reviewed?

Those are some great grey area questions. For patterns that are
orphaned and in a unpublished state, we can have the system send out
reminder emails. After a 3rd attempt, we can adopt that pattern and
make it viewable and editable by all registered users. Such patterns
should be treated specially... not sure what the best approach is.

For patterns that aren't reviewed and published, I think they should
be reviewed at some point. Again we can have the system send out
reminders to editors to review unreviewed patterns. I think it's
possible to "Assign" a pattern to an Editor if a period of time
elapses. I'd have to do a bit more research.

On a similar note, what happens if a pattern is previously "Reviewed"
but since edited by the author or another Editor. Should that pattern
be placed back to a "To be Reviewed" state? Ideally small edits would
just pass through without needing review, but there's no good way of
determining a minor vs major edit.

This makes me evaluate the effects of reviewing on the OSDPL.

On one hand we want the patterns to be of good quality, but on the
other hand do we want being reviewed a requirement? Does this make
reviewing a bottleneck?

I think we should schedule a meeting next week to address some of
these issues. Wednesday 2pm ET / 11am PT looks good. I'll send out an
agenda / list of questions to ponder by Monday.

- Jonathan.

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002