CSS Testing

Justin justin.obara at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 21 16:42:43 UTC 2009

Hi Jacob,

Comparing images tends to be extremely brittle. Even a single pixel
different means the pictures are not equivalent. Now consider a web
page where the size and placement of content is highly dependent on
the browser size.

I have attached a screen shot I took a while back when I ran into a
problem while testing the robot automation. The image shows the same
page opened in FF2 and FF3. Notice the difference in size of the
portlets. The browsers both had the same size.

I've quickly looked at github, but am not sure I quite understand what
they are doing. It seems that they are using two approaches. 1) to
compare images 2) compare the rendered DOM values against expected
values.

It seems that the second approach would be more feasible, but I'm
guessing you would still have a problem with the example illustrated
in the attachment.

- Justin