[OSDPL] Feedback requested: proposed pattern workflow

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 20 23:19:53 UTC 2009

Thanks Jonathan for your great work on this! I agree that this is a
very balanced structure to start with, which can be refined as needed
we start to work with authors in the library.

My only big question is whether it would be strange for patterns to
disappear from the library while they are in review. Folks may have
seen them before and want to reference them again. In an ideal world
it would be nice if we could let the public see a different version of
the pattern from the one the reviewer and editor are working on, but
I'm not sure we can easily accomplish that. We may want to consider
making a copy of the pattern when it goes into review so folks can
still see it. I actually think it would be OK in this step to let
people continue to make comments--but I'm assuming that there probably
wouldn't be *that* many comments and the authors and editors wouldn't
be bombarded. However, if the comments would be on a copy, that may
not be idea as I envision that when the pattern is published this copy
would be deleted. Then the comments would have to either be copied
over to the 'final' pattern or be lost (which wouldn't be good).

I also think it's going to be important to have good filtering
mechanisms for pattern library users, as well as a clear, concise
explanation of the different states of the patterns in the library so
folks understand and can control what patterns they are using/viewing.
It would be *great* if there were some way to configure your default
view for this filter when you set up an account, for example to only
see "Reviewed" Patterns. It will be especially important that the
pattern authors understand the implications of the different steps
(and the fact that they can skip steps) as they move their patterns
through the workflow. I am wondering what will be done if a pattern
author never requests a review--will the patterns be triggered go into
that state at some point, perhaps after an effort to contact the
author? I'm guessing some people will author patterns and move on to
other things, and we may *want* to move the patterns forward even if
the author can't continue to work with us.

A final question that came up for me is how will the many editors will
know which pattern to work on with an author. I'm guessing there will
be a large pool of editors, and if patterns aren't either directed to
or quickly picked up by a particular person, it may be difficult to
ensure that a pattern is edited efficiently. We *could* have a system
where while first all editors are informed that a particular pattern
is ready for review, and if someone doesn't "pick it up" in a certain
timeframe (e.g. 3 business days), it is assigned to someone. Then we'd
need some sort of system to make sure there was an even rotation among
editors.

I think a lot of these are fine points, though that we can continue to
think through as things move forward--once again, nice work! :)

Allison

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Jonathan Hung wrote:

> [...]
>
> If you have feedback still to give, please share them even though
> we're starting work on implementing this.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> - Jonathan.
>
> ---
> Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
> Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
> Tel: (416) 946-3002
>

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Colin Clark
> <colin.clark at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> You've put together a very clear, easy to use, and forward-looking
>> plan for
>> our pattern library. I like the way you've balanced openness with
>> author
>> comfort, providing various checkpoints for drafting, editing, and
>> sharing
>> ideas with the larger community.
>>
>> Looks like you've received some good feedback. It's really great to
>> see this
>> vision shaping up. Building a healthy community around the OSDPL is
>> undoubtedly an important part of Fluid's long term sustainability.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On 14-Jan-09, at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Hung wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone.
>>>
>>> Over the next 3 to 4 months, we will be making a push to get the
>>> Open
>>> Source Design Pattern library sustainable. In order to reach that
>>> point, there is a roadmap for the work to be completed. Part of that
>>> roadmap includes the implementation of a flexible pattern workflow
>>> that helps guide a pattern author from draft to publication, while
>>> allowing input from the community throughout the process.
>>>
>>> I would like to get your opinion on the following proposed workflow.
>>> The workflow aims to balance the author's comfort and privacy, while
>>> allowing for a larger community to have their input on a design
>>> pattern.
>>>
>>> Please examine the attached diagram. The main points to get from
>>> this
>>> workflow:
>>>
>>> - While in "Draft" state, the pattern is visible only to the author.
>>> The author can save and revise their patterns as they wish.
>>>
>>> - While in "Request for Public Comments" state, all registered users
>>> on the OSDPL can view and comment on the pattern. The public
>>> internet
>>> will not be able to see the patten (although anyone can register for
>>> an account). Such patterns are clearly indicated as "Work in
>>> Progress"
>>> as to not confuse it with "Published" patterns.
>>>
>>> - While in "Request for Review", pattern Editors review the pattern
>>> and collaborate with the pattern author to get it to a polished
>>> state.
>>>
>>> - To have a pattern stamped as "Reviewed", the author must:
>>> request a
>>> review; and have an Editor review and publish the pattern.
>>>
>>> - For flexibility, the pattern author can publish their pattern at
>>> time. But doing so will cause their pattern to be stamped as "Not