What should we do about API documentation?

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Fri Jan 16 19:25:44 UTC 2009

On 16-Jan-09, at 12:19 PM, Michelle D'Souza wrote:

> 5. Move to another strategy altogether for creating and versioning
> API docs. Suggestions?

I actually think we're reaching a point where we need a new approach.

My suggestion:

Straight HTML+CSS, in SVN.

Benefits:
Built-in versioning; versioned docs can be bundled with a release;
versioned docs can be easily served up on a public site; much greater
control over the appearance of the docs (through CSS).

Issues:
Slightly more cumbersome edit/share process than the wiki: HTML mark-
up instead of wiki, SVN commit/update cycle necessary for sharing
changes with others.

I think the benefits outweigh the issues. The initial effort of
"porting" what we have over to HTML will be a bit of a chore, but I
think it will be worth it.

What do other people think?

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca