Some ideas for FLUID-1872

Jacob Farber jacob.farber.work at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 18:43:58 UTC 2009

Thanks for the feedback Anastasia, here's what Im thinking:

1) Could'nt we clean up the samples to become exemplars? They could just be
more detailed or feature-focused springboards.... as it is right now, if I
were to come at this for the first time, I would be a little confused as to
why there are so many different kinds of reviewable code.

2) As for the semantics for "real-world" perhaps it could be something like
"implementations" or "partner-demos" or "use-cases".

I would think a full instance of, say, Sakai wouldnt matter since its a demo
of client-side functionality with the assumption the project implementor has
intimite knownledge of their own system (ie. a uPortal person doesnt need to
see how we set up uPortal proper, just whats expected of them on the
front-end and they could make the necessary changes in their uPortal
instance.). Please correct me if Im wrong, but as long as the markup is what
the app spits out normally, then they shouldnt have a problem. The whole
system doesnt need to be up and running to showcase a small peice of
functionality.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks again

Jacob

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Anastasia Cheetham <a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
> wrote:

> Jacob, this looks pretty good. I do have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Currently, we distinguish between samples and springboards. My
> understanding was that samples are just samples, while the springboards are
> meant as exemplars, suitable for cut-and-paste.
>
> It's not clear to me whether or not this distinction is present in your
> proposed scheme, or whether or not we want to maintain that distinction.
>
> 2) The words "real-world-demos" implies real world :-) But I suspect you
> aren't proposing that the sakai real-world folder would contain an actual
> full sakai instance. Can we think of a name that better reflects this fact?
>
> --
> Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
> Software Designer, Fluid Project    http://fluidproject.org

Jacob Farber