[OSDPL] Feedback requested: proposed pattern workflow

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:09:17 UTC 2009

Hi Anastasia. Response to questions are inline.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Anastasia Cheetham
<a.cheetham at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Who are "Editors" and what does one have to do to become an Editor?

"Editors" are registered users who have the extra ability to view,
comment, and edit all design patterns published on the site (with some
restrictions depending on the state a pattern is in). They are
knowledgeable pattern authors and experts who have a proven ability to
create patterns and help others in doing the same.

Their role is to help review and edit design patterns. It's a good way
for novice pattern authors to learn from more experienced people, as
well as help do some quality control on the site.

Users become Editors after they have shown aptitude in this field, but
it's not an automatic process (at least not right now). Candidates are
hand picked by the community of Editors and evaluated on a
case-by-case basis (like nominating and voting for Commit access on
SVN).. Users can always request to become an Editor, in which case
Editors will decide if that individual has merit.

> What will the stamp be on patterns at this stage? Same as Comments stage
> ("Work in Progress") or other?

Good question. I hadn't considered a stamp at the "Edit / Review"
stage. I suppose it would make sense to give it a stamp of "In
Review".

All states should have an appropriate stamp so users of all levels can
easily identify relevant patterns. Thus Draft should have a stamp too.

The exact terminology for the stamps need to be worked out, since we
want words that give a strong scent.

> Can the public continue to comment as the pattern is being refined by an
> Editor?

I don't think this should be the case purely based on the desire to
keep the interactions clean and clear-cut. It could be potentially
confusing to have public comments occuring while Editors are actively
helping an author on a pattern.

What do you think? Either way can be implemented.

> Can patterns be reviewed by Editors and refined after publish?

Yes. Editors can review patterns after publishing and stamp it as
"Reviewed" if appropriate. Editors also have the ability to put a
pattern back into a Draft state or any other state if necessary.
Throughout this, communication between Editors and the author is
important, otherwise it can be perceived as heavy moderation.

>> Throughout the workflow notifications are sent to the relevant parties
>> alerting them that new content is available for them view, comment, or
>> review (in the case of an Editor).
>
> Who counts as a 'relevant party?' Can the general public request to be
> notified?

Relevant parties:
- Editors - notified when Drafts are created, and when patterns changes states.
- Registered Users - notified when a pattern enters a "Request for
Comments" state or published.

The general public will not be notified unless they subscribe to the
site mailing list, RSS feed, or some other opt-in method. Of course
anyone in the general public will be able to register, so they can
ensure they get their notifications that way.

Notifications take the form of emails to the mailing list, in-system
private messaging, and front page alerts. The kinds of notifications
should be configurable by the user.

>> All patterns that are recently
>> published or in a "Request for Public Comments" state will be featured
>> clearly and easily accessible on the site (after some improvements to
>> the site's look and feel).
>
> Will patterns in the "Request for Review" state be featured?

I'm thinking patterns in "Request for Review" will only be featured to
users who are Editors. But, if we allow public comments during this
stage, it would make sense to feature these patterns to all registered
users. However I don't know if this is a beneficial interaction or
not.

Question: should registered users be able to comment on patterns
during the "Request for Edits" stage?

- Jonathan.