[OSDPL] Feedback requested: proposed pattern workflow

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:43:46 UTC 2009

Hi Paul,

The states are mutually exclusive and is done this way to keep the
process and interactions clean and clear-cut. Therefore the only time
Registered Users can view and comment is if the pattern is in a
"Comments" state -- that's their opportunity to give their input on
the creation of the pattern. The Review / Edit stage is exclusively
for Editors and the Author.

Conversely, we can change the process so that registered users can
comment at any stage except for "Draft" stage. I'm wondering if this
is a desirable interaction from an author's perspective? Some further
user testing would probably answer this question for us. Do you
strongly favour one way over the other?

An author can move their pattern from "Request for Edits" to "Request
for Public Comments" which will lock out Editors from editing, though
they can continue to comment.

In a way, the Author has control over how their pattern flows through
the process. I'm not sure if this is the best decision in an open
community, but from user testing it was clear there was a desire for
content creators to maintain some control over their pattern's
visibility. Editors also have the ability to control the workflow on
patterns that aren't their own, but this should only be done in
special cases.

Does that answer your questions?

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002