[OSDPL] Feedback requested: proposed pattern workflow

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:55:26 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.

Over the next 3 to 4 months, we will be making a push to get the Open
Source Design Pattern library sustainable. In order to reach that
point, there is a roadmap for the work to be completed. Part of that
roadmap includes the implementation of a flexible pattern workflow
that helps guide a pattern author from draft to publication, while
allowing input from the community throughout the process.

I would like to get your opinion on the following proposed workflow.
The workflow aims to balance the author's comfort and privacy, while
allowing for a larger community to have their input on a design
pattern.

Please examine the attached diagram. The main points to get from this workflow:

- While in "Draft" state, the pattern is visible only to the author.
The author can save and revise their patterns as they wish.

- While in "Request for Public Comments" state, all registered users
on the OSDPL can view and comment on the pattern. The public internet
will not be able to see the patten (although anyone can register for
an account). Such patterns are clearly indicated as "Work in Progress"
as to not confuse it with "Published" patterns.

- While in "Request for Review", pattern Editors review the pattern
and collaborate with the pattern author to get it to a polished state.

- To have a pattern stamped as "Reviewed", the author must: request a
review; and have an Editor review and publish the pattern.

- For flexibility, the pattern author can publish their pattern at any
time. But doing so will cause their pattern to be stamped as "Not
Reviewed".
-- this allows for immediate visibility to the world and could create
some interesting interactions.
-- registered users will be able to comment, rank, and flag patterns.
-- it is possible to remove a pattern from the public and considered
on a case-by-case basis.

Throughout the workflow notifications are sent to the relevant parties
alerting them that new content is available for them view, comment, or
review (in the case of an Editor). All patterns that are recently
published or in a "Request for Public Comments" state will be featured
clearly and easily accessible on the site (after some improvements to
the site's look and feel).

What are your thoughts on this? Too complicated? Not open enough?
Needs more community involvement during the workflow?

We aim to start work early next week, so your feedback is appreciated!

For more information on the workflow, timeline of work, and other
proposed work, please see this wiki page:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/kQNS

- Jonathan.

PS. While designing this workflow I felt like a politician....
Balancing the rights of the individual while benefiting the greater
good. Excuse me while I go and get this awful taste out of my mouth.
:)

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002