Disability Specialist Position at MSU
Michael S Elledge
elledge at msu.edu
Wed Jan 14 14:12:11 UTC 2009
Posting for Chronic Disabilities Specialist at Michigan State
University. Please forward to any relevant lists or potentially
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume/vita, and 2 letters of reference to Michael Hudson, MSU Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, 120 Bessey Hall, East Lansing Michigan 48824-1033
Great place to work; great person to work for.
From: CIC Disablilty Services Directors [mailto:CIC-DS at CIC.NET] On Behalf Of Michael Hudson
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:41 PM
To: CIC-DS at CIC.NET
Subject: Disability Specialist position vacancy at MSU
I share the attached position vacancy notice for your information. If you have suggestions for quality applicants, I invite their application. The description is attached and pasted below.
Chronic Health Disabilities
Michigan State University enjoys a reputation for excellence in facilitating inclusion of persons with disabilities in a range of educational and work-related opportunities. Disability Specialists maintain and employ cutting edge knowledge in their specialty areas to provide outstanding advising, outreach and direct services related to the specialization at hand.
* Provides advising, direct services, consultation and referrals to persons with disabilities to facilitate full participation in university programs and services
* Provides outreach, consulting and presentations to university faculty and staff to facilitate an environment of accessibility and opportunity for persons with disabilities
* Administers and develops internal programs and services used by persons with disabilities
* Masters degree in special education, rehabilitation counseling, Psychology or other fields related to integrating people with disabilities in education and the workplace
* Experience working with persons with disabilities in an educational setting
Knowledge, abilities and skills required:
* Knowledge of educational and employment-related accommodations, skills and tools used by persons with disabilities with special focus on chronic health disabilities
* Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to persons with disabilities
* Ability to use personal interviews and medical documentation to validate the existence of a disability and to determine and recommend appropriate accommodations and auxiliary aids/services
* Excellent written communication skills and ability to produce clear case notes
* Excellent oral communication skills including group presentations
* Strong collaborative/team skills balanced by an ability to operate independently with minimal prompting
* Extensive working knowledge of assistive technology and its role in facilitating full participation by persons with disabilities
* Working knowledge of information management via computer technologies including: e-mail, word processing, databases and web browsers
Illustration of duties:
1. Provision of direct services to persons with disabilities (60%):
* Interact with persons with disabilities to assess program eligibility, conduct needs assessments and determine reasonable accommodations
* Review, recommend and implement auxiliary aids/services and reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities
* Facilitate full participation in academic, workplace and extracurricular life through advising, service coordination, and networking
* Monitor academic progress and assist with academic advising
* Assist persons with disabilities on the selection and usage of appropriate assistive technology
* Facilitate positive peer contacts and interactions among persons with disabilities registered with the RCPD
2. Presentations, in-services and consultation with faculty, staff and departments (20%):
* Provide consultation and disability advocacy with faculty and staff regarding individual accommodation needs
* Make referrals to appropriate campus and community resources
* Produce and present workshops and presentations pertaining to disability issues and accommodations
3. Coordination of programs providing services to persons with disabilities (20%):
* Read, interpret and critically analyze medical and functional capacity documentation in order to determine when conditions represent ADA qualified disabilities.
* Utilize disability documentation and data from needs assessments to implement effective accommodation strategies that enable persons with disabilities to meet essential functions in academic and workplace settings
* Recommend, select and maintain specialized assistive technology and equipment related to services to persons with disabilities
* Annual reporting of office statistics, needs, progress and strengths/weaknesses related to services for persons with disabilities
* Maintain a high level of knowledge/expertise regarding the issues, resources and concerns for persons with disabilities with special focus on chronic health disabilities
* Research and write funding and program proposals that facilitate new or expanded programmatic efforts for persons with disabilities
* Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities
Reports to the Director of the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities who provides general direction and specific projects. Independent judgment and collaboration with colleagues is expected for most assignments.
Minimum salary of $44,000 commensurate with experience as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and retirement.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume/vita, and 2 letters of reference to Michael Hudson, MSU Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, 120 Bessey Hall, East Lansing Michigan 48824-1033. Application review begins February 2, 2009
MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
RCPD...Maximizing Ability and Opportunity!
This e-mail may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.
Michael J. Hudson, Director
Michigan State University, Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities http://www.rcpd.msu.edu (517) 884-RCPD
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Position Posting - Chronic Health.pdf
Size: 19496 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the fluid-work