Testing FSS and CSS in general

Jacob Farber jacob.farber.work at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:14:04 UTC 2009

Hi there,

An interesting problem has creeped up, and I was wondering your thoughts: I
think the time has come where we need to start preparing tests for the FSS
CSS stuff, but how do we go about doing this?

Perhaps we could come up with a comprehensive test page, which includes ALL
of the FSS's features in a single place, and check it routinely for errors?

Thoughts of DOH.Robot hammering away at a page, checking the computed style
of every node for all possible interactions doesnt sound like a decent
testing scenario....jQUnit fetching the computed style for a battery of
conditions sounds like the same thing....and then there is the fact that
some things just might not "look right", which is hardly quantifiable by a
machine.

So, any ideas on how you test the appearance of something? Getting the
computed style is the only programmatic way I can think of, and even then
you may be looking at the wrong thing's computed style.

Thanks

Jacob