Announcing Open Virtual Usability Lab (VULab) alpha

Ron Owston ROwston at edu.yorku.ca
Tue Jan 6 17:48:24 UTC 2009

Hi Nate,
By all means you can share the announcement widely. Yes, it's a general
remote usability testing tool that can be used for any website. In fact,
it can be used to record any kind of desktop activity, web-based or not.
Unlike Morae and others, nothing has to be installed on the remote user's
computer which greatly simplifies the process. It's important to realize
that it doesn't do any analysis for you. You end up with pre- and post
session survey answers and video/audio recordings of users. Then it is up
to you as the researcher to interpret them. Also I emphasize that it is an
alpha version, but we have two full time developers working on improving
it.
Best, Ron
Ron Owston, PhD
Director, Institute for Research on Learning Technologies
and University Professor of Education
York University, TEL 1029
4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON Canada M3J 1P3
Phone 416-736-5019; email ROWSTON at EDU.YORKU.CA
Personal website http://ronowston.ca
IRLT website http://irlt.yorku.ca

Nate Angell <nate.angell at rsmart.com> on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 at 12:00