Fixes and Improvements to Image Reorderer

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:17:32 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

Based on a user inquiry on the Infusion users list, I stumbled across
the fact that the Image Reorderer is in need of some serious care and
feeding for Infusion 1.2. In its default configuration, it was largely
broken. Our examples encouraged users to implement an archaic ID-based
style of communicating with the server that required a lot of extra
work. And our documentation for the afterMove event was syntactically
broken. Ouch.

Jacob and I have been working on a new example page for the Image
Reorderer. I removed all of the ID-based cruft and replaced it with
simplified markup using the standard Fluid conventions. Jacob managed
to shave off 65% of the original markup, and vastly simplified the CSS
to go with it. He also introduced some new visual styling, which he
thinks improves the contrast. I'd like to hear feedback from other
designers in the community. Take a look here:

http://build.fluidproject.org/infusion/standalone-demos/reorderer/html/improved-form-image-reorderer.html

As this matures for Infusion 1.2, I'd like to promote it to a full-
fledged template. Our users do regularly take our example markup and
cut & paste them into their applications, so it needs to be exemplary
and easy to use.

I've also been working on new documentation for the afterMove event,
explaining how users might listen for this event and use it to send
information back to the server. Here's a working draft of this tutorial:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Talking+to+the+Server+Using+The+afterMove+Event

Along with this new example and tutorial, I have ensured that the out-
of-the-box Image Reorderer is now working as it should. This required
a fair bit of dancing around legacy code in order to maintain
backwards compatibility, and I'm still thinking about better
strategies for enabling a simpler style by default without breaking
compatibility with existing users of the id-based strategy. More on
that later.

Still to do:
  * Lots of QA
  * Make it fully progressively enhanceable, so that users without
JavaScript can reorder items using plain old form fields
  * Finish the afterMove tutorial

Feedback, comments, edits, and more code are much appreciated.