FE Design MTG follow up: Thuirsday 10:00AM PDT, Washington DC 1:00PM EDT??

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 19 14:08:28 UTC 2009

Yep, Thursday at 10 AM PDT / 1 PM EDT works for me.

> 1) Will you have time to conduct a paper prototype test while at the DIA?

I'm not sure what our schedule is like yet at the DIA, but I think
it's possible we'll have time for it.

Regardless of whether we have time for user testing, we'll certainly
do a walkthrough of the paper prototypes with Jennifer, Amy, David, et
al. and get feedback on that.

> 2) If so, we want to design a test and send you the pdfs to print - does this work for you?

Yep!

> Assumptions:
> 1) We are thinking that the search options should follow the mobile example - Subject, Creator, Time Period, Geography, Object Type, Material, Technique.

Good assumption to start with. Let's refine it with the DIA.

Those facets that were on the mobile design--subject, creator, time
period, etc.--were taken from a paper by Menard that Hugues at the
McCord encouraged me to adapt (I've attached the paper). It'll be
useful to see what the DIA thinks of it.

> 2) For the map we are going to use a plane view - rather then a 3-D rendering as we do not believe we have the capabilities to render maps on the fly?

Tricky question. Short answer: good assumption. Longer answer:

If we're using HTML5 canvas, then we have access to hardware graphics
acceleration on the browser (see
http://deanm.github.com/pre3d/monster.html for a cool canvas demo if
you have an HTML5 browser, like Safari 4 or FF 3.5). The dev framework
we're thinking of using is the js port of Processing (yay! :D), which
takes advantage of canvas. But while Processing has a great 3D API,
the js port doesn't support it... yet. We could/should ping Resig to
see where that is on his roadmap. If we think 3D maps would be that
much more useful, usable, and desirable, I would keep it on the table,
while being mindful that it might not be possible in the end.

> 3) We are not going to include searching archival material - information for tours will be items on display in the physical gallery?

I agree.

Side note: keep at the back of your mind that a) artwork does get
rotated, and that things in storage/conservation will make its way
into the gallery and vice versa, and b) their DBs have quality of data
issues for item location (things supposedly in the gallery will be in
storage, and things supposedly in storage will be in the gallery).

See you tomorrow!

Cheers,
James