[Decapod] August All-hands meeting notes posted

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 20:00:14 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.

Last week Thomas Breuel from the Image Understanding and Pattern Recognition
group at the Technical University of Kaiserslautern, and John Burns from
Jstor, visited the ATRC in Toronto for 3 days of meetings to work on Fluid
Decapod. The meetings were extremely productive and informative which
covered a wide range of topics: user workflow, use cases, backend API, and
accessibility.

Thomas also demonstrated an early build of the system which had a Decapod
controlled Canon G10 camera capture a page of content and have the
perspective corrected. (I wish I took a video of this demonstration because
it was a lot more impressive in reality).

I have posted the meeting notes to the Fluid Wiki:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/NgSY

There is a lot of information to digest on that wiki page, but it gives you
a sense of the direction we are heading in as a project.

Notable take-aways:
* New design direction for the main UI
* Addition of a "Project Manager" type interface to make exporting and
managing multiple Decapod work projects easier
* Refined user and system workflow
* UI Development to begin shortly
* Back-end development continues in all areas

Decapod is an open source project, so we invite everyone interested to get
involved. Currently we welcome participation in:
* Javascript UI development (to be coordinated with the lead UI developer)
* User testing (administer a test, or be a test user)
* Domain experts in paper collections interested in digitization and
preservation (i.e. librarians, curators, adminstrators, etc.)

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

- Jonathan

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Designer Fluid Decapod Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002