My notes from our chat with Museum of the Moving Image today

Clayton H Lewis Clayton.Lewis at Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 25 22:00:37 UTC 2009

re
>>  eDoscent: a pilot mobile project run by MMI in 2000
>> 	- problem they encountered was that people didn't necessarily
>> want to follow up
>> 	- the "here and now" is the key
>> 	- need to incentivize the pre/post visit

wonder if FaceBook integration would help on this...
post: make it easy to create a representation of your visit and post it
... could also perhaps find similar posts and make it easy to find
material other visitors created about the same stuff

pre: find posts from people (in your network? anyone?) who have
visited and see their comments and especially their recommendations
(eg don't bother with the extra ticket exhibit on such and such...
it's just a bunch of reproductions and not worth it, or if you go to
museum X be sure to include time for museum Y next door)

re
>> Location-aware triggered sound: not an fixed audio tour, but
>> sounds cued based on context
>> 	- say, David Lynch talking about the importance of sound while in
>> an exhibit that covers sound in movies

a blind friend has pointed out that those audio tour things seem as
if they would be great for her but in fact they are useless, because
the numbers next to the exhibits that you have to type in are
inaccessible to her... making the audio context triggered would be a
terrific (assuming there is adequate way finding support to get
around the space)

On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Here are my notes from our conversation today with Jason Eppink and
> Carl Goodman for the Museum of the Moving Image. Interesting stuff.
>
> Colin
>
> ---
>
> Some projects that the Museum of the Moving Image has in mind for
> Fluid Engage:
>
>     1. Interactive animation stands: let people take their
> animations home with them, directly on their phone
>     2. Remote controls for in-gallery video screens: use the phone
> to controls clips on the screen
>     3. CollectionSpace integration:
> 	- scan a bar code, or wirelessly look up more information, get
> access to the collection
> 	- visitor can take that information home with them (ie. physical
> bookmarking)
>     4. A location aware treasure hunt activity
>     5. Location-aware triggered sound: not an fixed audio tour, but
> sounds cued based on context
> 	- say, David Lynch talking about the importance of sound while in
> an exhibit that covers sound in movies
>

> • Not just physical bookmarking of objects already in the collection:
> 	- allow visitors to take home the results of their interactive
> activities
>
> • eDoscent: a pilot mobile project run by MMI in 2000
> 	- problem they encountered was that people didn't necessarily want
> to follow up
> 	- the "here and now" is the key
> 	- need to incentivize the pre/post visit
>
> • MMI has little interest in way finding; they have a small space,
> emphasize the value of getting lost
> 	- instead, want to approach this in an exhibit-driven way
> 	- preserve the primacy of the visitor to determine their own in-
> gallery experience
> 	- leave notes to person i know, tied to a physical location and
> artifact
>
> • layered curatorial approach
> 	- a library: here's a collection of stuff
> 	- "our perspective:" advocated by the curatorial staff
> 	- invited experts: material assembled by filmmakers, for example
> 	- visitor's perspectives
> 	* goal: "to elevate the mundane, not denigrate the important"
>
> • Carl suggested we take a look at other past mobile-related
> projects, such as the HandScape project
>

> ---
> Colin Clark
> Technical Lead, Fluid Project
> http://fluidproject.org

Clayton Lewis
Professor of Computer Science
Scientist in Residence, Coleman Institute for Cognitive Disabilities
University of Colorado
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~clayton