My notes from our chat with Museum of the Moving Image today

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 22 17:15:23 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

Here are my notes from our conversation today with Jason Eppink and
Carl Goodman for the Museum of the Moving Image. Interesting stuff.

Some projects that the Museum of the Moving Image has in mind for
Fluid Engage:

     1. Interactive animation stands: let people take their animations
home with them, directly on their phone
     2. Remote controls for in-gallery video screens: use the phone to
controls clips on the screen
     3. CollectionSpace integration:
	- scan a bar code, or wirelessly look up more information, get access
to the collection
	- visitor can take that information home with them (ie. physical
bookmarking)
     4. A location aware treasure hunt activity
     5. Location-aware triggered sound: not an fixed audio tour, but
sounds cued based on context
	- say, David Lynch talking about the importance of sound while in an
exhibit that covers sound in movies

• Not just physical bookmarking of objects already in the collection:
	- allow visitors to take home the results of their interactive
activities

• eDoscent: a pilot mobile project run by MMI in 2000
	- problem they encountered was that people didn't necessarily want to
follow up
	- the "here and now" is the key
	- need to incentivize the pre/post visit

• MMI has little interest in way finding; they have a small space,
emphasize the value of getting lost
	- instead, want to approach this in an exhibit-driven way
	- preserve the primacy of the visitor to determine their own in-
gallery experience
	- leave notes to person i know, tied to a physical location and
artifact

• layered curatorial approach
	- a library: here's a collection of stuff
	- "our perspective:" advocated by the curatorial staff
	- invited experts: material assembled by filmmakers, for example
	- visitor's perspectives
	* goal: "to elevate the mundane, not denigrate the important"

• Carl suggested we take a look at other past mobile-related projects,
such as the HandScape project