Image Reorderer code question

elledge at msu.edu elledge at msu.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:57:06 UTC 2009

I guess it depends upon what you want to get from the test. We generally specify tasks so that the results can be comparative. If we want to get a sense of what participants will do without direction, we'll usually ask them to do something in whatever makes sense to them (undirected) and then ask them why they did what they did. Then we'll follow-up with specific tasks (directed) so we can see how long it takes them, how they try to complete the task, and if they succeed or not. Having (at least some) directed tasks would enable you to compare blind and sighted user results, which would be quite useful.

There's also the risk that someone won't really know what do if they aren't directed. An alternative would be to give them a couple of choices if they can't think of what to do.

Mike