Reorderer in Sakai announcements

Gonzalo Silverio gsilver at umich.edu
Mon Sep 29 13:26:22 UTC 2008

Hi,

We have been working on integrating the reorderer in the Sakai announcements
list as a test. Here are some preliminary observations, some caveats, and a
request for assistance.

On the skinning side the selector order that worked best to avoid conflicts
with external (implementor) styles and internal (reorderer) styles was the
following:

.orderable-default
.orderable-hover
.orderable-dragging
.orderable-selected
.orderable-avatar

The only !important override was used in the ".orderable-avatar" selector,
to override the ".orderable-hover" in cases where both were addressing the
same attribute, since both are applied to the same element/state.

Since ".ui-draggable" and ".ui-droppable" seem to be applied to all states,
they were less useful for distinguishing between states. Is this true?

Oddities
--------
The Sakai announcements list is a table, with up to seven columns, each row
having a set of links and a checkbox input, at least when the site owner is
viewing it. I applied the "uniqueprefix.orderableX" to the <tr/>

- Win/Internet Explorer 6 -

1) Checkboxes are unchecked after a drag
2) It is virtually impossible to "paint" ".orderable-drop-marker" - the
table rows separate to the specified height as the avatar enters the area,
but that is it, no background, borders, etc. are rendered.

- All OS/Firefox 2/3 -

A dropped row will sometimes drop as if the allowable droppable target was
the first cell of the standard row. Adding anything to all rows that
explicitly gives it a block character (like "display:block, display:table")
fixes this - but it makes a hash of the table layout.

You can see the above at:

Bare bones, shows Firefox problem:

    http://www.umich.edu/~gsilver/reorderer/index2.html

Some attempt at styling, "display:table" applied to rows (I know, I know):

    http://www.umich.edu/~gsilver/reorderer

Any thoughts? Has the reorderer been used with a table before? I think some
of the issues listed may be due to that perhaps?

Many thanks.

    -Gonzalo