Pluggable architecture for survey tool / VULab integration

Peter Rowley prowley at yorku.ca
Thu Sep 25 17:15:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

Ron, Blake, and I have been talking about the relationship between VULab
and the survey tool.  As we've found with the work based on phpESP, it's
not a good idea to let the survey tool drive the architecture of VULab. At
the same time, it's daunting to rebuild a comprehensive survey tool with a
good reporting system from scratch.  So I've proposed the notion of a
pluggable survey tool.

VULab and the survey tool would communicate, on the user's client, via
Javascript API's, one supported by the VULab application and one by the
survey application.  The API's would look something like this:

VUlab -> survey tool:
- create a blank survey for the user to edit
- present the survey stored at URL XXXXX (a parameter) for the user to
edit
- present the survey stored at URL XXXXX for a subject to fill out
- present the results for the survey stored at URL XXXXX
- delete the survey stored at URL XXXXX

survey tool -> VUlab
- the user has finished creating a survey which is now available at URL
XXXXX

As part of the project, we'd have to build a simple survey tool that
communications with VULab this way or, more likely, modify a tool such as
phpESP that has a license compatible with Fluid's and that we could
bundle.  But then if anyone comes along and says that they'd like their
survey tool to work with VUlab, we give them the documentation on the API
and encourage them to integrate with VULab that way.

This is the same kind of "mashup" integration used by many web
applications with Google Maps, so it's not new by any means, and thus not
too high a risk.

Blake is enthusiastic about this approach and is going to work with David
and others to flesh it out.

Comments are most welcome!

Peter Rowley
York University