Reorderer components' name change

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 12:18:07 UTC 2008

In fear and trepidation of opening a horrible can of worms, I just
thought I'd point out to me that the word "reorderer" doesn't actually
convey any meaning. It is clearly a word that the project has come to
agree encapsulates the work done, but to the person unaware of the
work done, it doesn't say much. I tried a Google:define and got:

No definitions were found for reorderer.

Suggestions:

     - Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
     - Search the Web for documents that contain "reorderer"

The result of the web search of course puts the Fluid pages at the
top, which gives you the opportunity to define the term. But I didn't
have any understanding from hearing the word before searching.

I wonder if it is worth saying in two sentences what you want each
name to capture and maybe asking people outside the project what they
would think are words that capture the meaning in those 2 sentences.

Probably overkill. Maybe best to invent a word and define it, but the
names should come with pithy definitions alongside if the words are
unknown to the audience.

John