Reorderer components' name change

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 24 21:14:56 UTC 2008

On 24-Sep-08, at 4:35 PM, Jess Mitchell wrote:

> Before it happens, I'd like someone who was involved in the naming
> of Layout Customizer to weigh in on that name change.  More than the
> other names, that one has caught on to a certain extent.  I know I
> use it in conversation all the time and a good bit of our
> documentation early on used reorderer and layout customizer
> interchangeably (though I know that shift reflects some fundamental
> code changes).

There was a thread on fluid-talk (I think( early in 2008 about this. I
can't find the original thread, but the follow-up (definitely on fluid-
talk) was titled "Renaming the Portlet Layout Manager" and it starts
in Feb. with a summary of all of the suggestions.

I think we used 'customize' instead of 'reorder' because of the whole
columns aspect - there was more to it than just changing a linear
order. If I recall correctly, it was Erin that suggested the name?

>  Is there a reason to change it?

My understanding is that the motivation for using the word 'reorderer'
is to establish consistency - to have all of the different flavours of
reorderer use the form of "XXX Reorderer"

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca