Reorderer components' name change

Anastasia Cheetham a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 24 19:47:01 UTC 2008

On 24-Sep-08, at 3:30 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

>>> An alternative approach would be to provide an optional JavaScript
>>> file that offers backwards-compatibility for such API changes. This
>>> is very much inspired by John Resig's approach to API change in
>>> jQuery.
>>

>> Hm. I'm not sure I understand what this file would contain - the old
>> APIs wrapped around calls to the new APIs?
>
> Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Adapt the new API back to the
> old API for those who aren't ready to make the switch.

Ok, I think I like that option. Users don't have to change their code
to keep it working, but they *do* have to do the small task of adding
the 'compatibility' file to their HTML, a la

     <script src="0.4compatibility.js"/>

which has in it things like (waaay overly simplified)

     var lightbox() = function () {
         return reorderImages();
     }

I like the idea that they would have to do *something*, as a small
encouragement to upgrade :-)

Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca