Reorderer components' name change

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 24 19:30:04 UTC 2008

Hey Anastasia,

Good questions...

On 24-Sep-08, at 2:34 PM, Anastasia Cheetham wrote:
>> An alternative approach would be to provide an optional JavaScript
>> file that offers backwards-compatibility for such API changes. This
>> is very much inspired by John Resig's approach to API change in
>> jQuery.
>

> Hm. I'm not sure I understand what this file would contain - the old
> APIs wrapped around calls to the new APIs?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Adapt the new API back to the
old API for those who aren't ready to make the switch.

> I'm looking at the jQuery
> code, and I don't see anything that looks like what you're talking
> about?

They only do this periodically, so it's unlikely that you'd find it in
1.2.6. I saw a talk with Resig where he mentioned the concept. He got
a couple of functions wrong in jQuery 1.0. In order to ease the pain
for developers, he wrote a little jQuery plugin that provided the old
API, too.

You can see a hint that they're considering it for the next release of
jQuery if you check out this file in their svn repository:

http://jqueryjs.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jquery/reminder.txt