Toward developer-focussed Fluid awareness videos

Peter Rowley prowley at yorku.ca
Sun Sep 21 19:51:15 UTC 2008

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your note!  One of the advantages of the cinematic approach is
that it does not have to be a full account of all the mental processes but
instead can appeal to common sense notions of what it means to understand
something.  So the characters in the grabber video would not have to be
differentiated by how they think or learn (which I'm guessing is what
you're referring to when you say "ways of forming mental
representations").  The video could work in conveying the message as long
as the characters are perceived by the viewer as, somehow, having arrived
at different representations (one example is that they are in different
classes, which use different terminology and practices with their
materials).  As long as a potential Fluid developer understands that a
user's representations might be different enough from their own that it
might cause problems when it comes time for them to use the software, we
are on the way to getting their interest.

I spoke to Ron about the video and we agreed that the idea would be more
accessible if there were a specific script that people could react to (not
that I've ever written a script before -- it'll be a learning process I'm
sure ).  We also agreed that, at least in this discussion phase, it would
make sense to use a specific context such as learning management systems.
So I'll head down that road.

If anyone actually has written a script for a video before or would like
to join me in optimistic ignorance, by all means I'd welcome a writing
partner.  And in any case, I will post drafts on the wiki in the area I
suggested.

Peter

Paul Zablosky <Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca>
09/19/08 02:21 PM

Peter Rowley <prowley at yorku.ca>
cc
"fluid-work at fluidproject.org List" <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
Subject
Re: Toward developer-focussed Fluid awareness videos

Peter,
    This is a really intriguing proposal and presents some interesting
challenges. Is there a standard set of "ways of forming mental
representations" on which the characters in the grabber video can be
based?

Paul