Fluid Course Administration & Content Management Personas feedback request

Herb Wideman herb at yorku.ca
Fri Sep 19 21:21:47 UTC 2008

Great work on these personas! The level of detail on instructors’
pedagogical approaches and everyone’s day-to-day operational strategies
is very thick and should be of great value in both designing and testing
UI components. I wonder whether some consideration should be given to
adding or altering a primary or secondary persona to include one that
makes heavy use of mathematics and math-based modeling in their work –
none of the personas appear to do so at this point. In the contextual
inquiries I participated in at York the issues of presenting
mathematical representations for formulae and math-driven
visual/graphical models, and providing appropriate online tools for
creating and editing these, were seen as problematic. As mathematical
formulations and math-based modeling are so prevalent in the hard
sciences and engineering this may need to be brought to the fore in one
primary or secondary persona. With respect to prioritizing LMS user
needs, it's worth noting that there are far more students and faculty in
these areas than in say foreign language departments.

Herb Wideman

Senior Researcher
Institute for Research on Learning Technologies
York University