Inline Edit Family Members

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 17 18:23:55 UTC 2008

Hi all,

My opinion is that we are still talking about 2 different kinds of
inline components.  One that allows the user to quickly edit hidden
information (info not on the screen you are looking at like a URL or
content of announcement if you only see the title on the dashboard).
The second is editing a thing where clicking it already does something
else (usually taking you someplace else like to a URL or to the
complete version of something that you might only be seeing the title
for).  I'm not sure I have solutions to the naming but I've made some
comments below...

-Daphne

On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Paul Zablosky wrote:

> Hi Allison,
>     It sounds like the case you have identified with link title
> editing is (as you say)  very much like simple inline text editing.
> The only difference is that you can't select the text string for
> editing in the usual ways (left-click or Enter).  Hence the need for
> some other selection activator, such as an "Edit" icon.  This leads
> me to wonder if the case is more general than just links.  Are there
> not other simple text strings that we might want to edit that can't
> be selected for editing with a left-click?  Suppose we wanted to
> edit the title of a drop-down box or a tab label?  Aren't these
> similar cases that we could cover in the design?  I'm wondering if
> we couldn't extend this to "any text you want to select for simple
> editing but can't because the usual selection action action is
> already taken".  I can't think of a good short name for this just
> now, but if we agree to the description, I'm sure we can come up
> with something.

Makes sense Paul.  Can we be even more specific and say it's "inline
editing an item where clicking on that item takes another action
(hence it must work different that simple text edit which on click
becomes editable)"?  Also not a good title but working toward a
description :).  The original title for this kind of interaction was
Edit Mode Inline Edit which I don't think really describes what we are
getting at either.  Perhaps it's the term "link" that is misleading
here.  As Allison mentions below for links, the goal is to change the
URL of a link -- that seems to nicely fit into the case of editing
hidden content.  There must be a term for the kind of thing we are
talking about -- "actionable item"?

> Thoughts?
>
> Paul
>
> Allison Bloodworth wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Erin and I talked a bit about this tonight. We came up with
>> "Overlay Expanded Inline Edit" (as opposed to "Expanded Overlay"
>> since that may just sound like an overlay has been "expanded") to
>> replace "Hidden Content Inline Edit" because it describes the two
>> parts of what it does: show additional content as well as open up
>> an overlay. This overlay I think is a big distinction for this
>> component because it sort of gets you outside the world of truly
>> editing text inline, without going anywhere else at all (e.g. not
>> even to an overlay). Other suggestions are most welcome if this
>> doesn't make sense!
Hmmm...Definitely better but I'm not sure this really gets the point
across.  It still made me think of an overlay being expanded.   Again,
to me in this case the overlay is just a particular implementation.
The fact that this component is good for editing hidden information
inline is what is really important.   Since we are in such early
stages of design for this user problem, I don't think we've finalized
what the implementation will be.

Erin is working on separating each of the family members in to their
own design overview page now which gives us an opportunity to describe
the problem being solved by each one (that's one of the sections of
the page).  I think that will also help quickly describe what we are
talking about.

>> We also talked a bit about whether "Link Inline Edit" and "Hidden
>> Content/Overlay Expanded Inline Edit" were similar. To me it seems
>> that "Link Inline Edit" is usually a sub-case of expanded overlay:
>> you probably need an edit button or icon next to the link, and you
>> need to open up an overlay that allows you to edit (usually) the
>> Link Title and the (usually hidden) Link URL.
>>
>> Sometimes, though, as in the case in Sakai or other applications,
>> you may just be editing the Link Title because the URL may be
>> hardcoded into the application. In that case, though, you may
>> uncover some new information in the overlay as is done in the
>> Announcements tool in the Overlay Expanded storyboard: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Overlay+Expanded+Inline+Edit+Storyboard
>> .
There are many cases where Sakai is the COU that the user just wants
to edit the link (resource title, assignment title, discussion
topic...).  If we think of this from the users problem they need to
solve.  I see inline editing of an actionable thing as very different
than inline editing of hidden content.

daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308