Inline Edit Family Members

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Wed Sep 17 16:57:55 UTC 2008

Hi Allison,
    It sounds like the case you have identified with link title editing
is (as you say)  very much like simple inline text editing.  The only
difference is that you can't select the text string for editing in the
usual ways (left-click or Enter).  Hence the need for some other
selection activator, such as an "Edit" icon.  This leads me to wonder if
the case is more general than just links.  Are there not other simple
text strings that we might want to edit that can't be selected for
editing with a left-click?  Suppose we wanted to edit the title of a
drop-down box or a tab label?  Aren't these  similar cases that we could
cover in the design?  I'm wondering if we couldn't extend this to "any
text you want to select for simple editing but can't because the usual
selection action action is already taken".  I can't think of a good
short name for this just now, but if we agree to the description, I'm
sure we can come up with something.

Thoughts?

Paul