Proposed dojo time picker

Joseph Scheuhammer clown at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 17 14:44:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

At one of last week's standup meetings, I mentioned a time picker UI
that had been proposed at a dijit meeting.  Since then I had a brief
discussion about it with Colin, and he suggested I provide some
information on fluid-work.

Since then, a ticket has been added to dojo's bug tracking system, which
is public, so I no long have qualms about revealing something that I'm
not supposed to.

The main idea is to provide mouse users with a set of times that they do
*not* have to scroll through; that all the times are visible at once.
The current dojo time picker is a combobox where the drop-down list
contains the times that one could pick.  It's configurable in terms of
the minute resolution;  five minute intervals vs 15 minute intervals,
for example.  If the resolution is too fine the drop down becomes
relatively long and scrollable, and clumsy for mouse users.  Note that
the scrolling is circular, wrapping at midnight.  Note also that it
works with a mouse wheel, which I find an improvement.

The description of the new UI and some discussion about it can be found
here:
http://bugs.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/7631

For reference the current time picker test page is here:
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/form/test_TimeTextBox.html

--
;;;;joseph

'This is not war -- this is pest control!'
      - "Doomsday", Dalek Leader -