Inline Edit Family Members

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 17 01:33:14 UTC 2008

Hey all,

Erin and I talked a bit about this tonight. We came up with "Overlay
Expanded Inline Edit" (as opposed to "Expanded Overlay" since that may
just sound like an overlay has been "expanded") to replace "Hidden
Content Inline Edit" because it describes the two parts of what it
does: show additional content as well as open up an overlay. This
overlay I think is a big distinction for this component because it
sort of gets you outside the world of truly editing text inline,
without going anywhere else at all (e.g. not even to an overlay).
Other suggestions are most welcome if this doesn't make sense!

We also talked a bit about whether "Link Inline Edit" and "Hidden
Content/Overlay Expanded Inline Edit" were similar. To me it seems
that "Link Inline Edit" is usually a sub-case of expanded overlay: you
probably need an edit button or icon next to the link, and you need to
open up an overlay that allows you to edit (usually) the Link Title
and the (usually hidden) Link URL.

Sometimes, though, as in the case in Sakai or other applications, you
may just be editing the Link Title because the URL may be hardcoded
into the application. In that case, though, you may uncover some new
information in the overlay as is done in the Announcements tool in the
Overlay Expanded storyboard: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Overlay+Expanded+Inline+Edit+Storyboard
.

If we had a component which only allowed editing of the link title, it
could behave more like simple text inline edit and upon clicking an
edit icon or edit link next to it, the text in the field (e.g.
representing the Announcement name, for example) could become
editable. If we were to build something like this (though I don't
think it's currently on the radar), it could either be in the "Simple
Text Inline Edit" family or perhaps be something like "Simple Link" or
"Link Title" Inline Edit.

Cheers,
Allison

Allison Bloodworth