Inline Edit Family Members

Erin Yu erin.yu at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 16 16:23:33 UTC 2008

Great, thanks for your comments.

I'd like to let everyone know that I am now editing a lot of the
Inline Edit pages using the consistent names (below) and placing them
in the tree-structure.

>>> 1. Simple Text Inline Edit
>>> 2. Link Inline Edit (different than simple text in that you can't
>>> click on the text itself because it will go to the actual link)
>>> 3. Hidden Content Inline Edit (editing content tied to the
>>> subject.. please see the announcement example)
>>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+Storyboard+-+Edit+link+or+multiple+pieces+of+data+at+once+(edit+mode+required)
>>> 4. Rich Text Inline Edit (editing a large amount of text)
>>> 5. Date Picker Inline Edit
>>> 6. Dropdown Inline Edit (rather than Constrained Choices Inline
>>> Edit)

Please note I've changed #4 to Rich Text from Document, because
Document can include spreadsheets, etc. which we do not handle. I
think it would be clear if we named it Rich Text and placed it below
the Simple Text.

Erin

On 15-Sep-08, at 7:07 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> +1 Erin!
>
> Some comments below...
>
> -Daphne
>
> On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Justin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here are some thoughts about the name of Constrained Choice Inline
>> Edit
>>
>> The Constrained Choices inline edit is linked to from story card 8
>> which talked about editable fields such as radio buttons and
>> checkboxes
>>
>> This is the same page that is linked to from story card 5, for
>> dropdown.
>>
>> (Link to story cards: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit+Storycards)
>>
>> That being said, is dropdown another type of inline edit? Is a
>> dropdown a form of constrained choice?
>
> Yea, the constrained choice is a leftover.  We originally thought
> there would be a type of inline edit component that covered cases
> where the user was making edits from a constrained list of choices.
> So it's different from simple text in that it is a dropdown or radio
> buttons or checkbox or other.  Chatting with Erin and Allison this
> morning we decided that each of those types of interactions should
> probably be looked at individually and each would be child in the
> inline edit component family.  So far we've only worked on the
> dropdown case so that's all you see in the storyboard.  Until we
> uncover a specific implementation of checkboxes or radio buttons we
> probably won't flesh out that design.
>>
>> I'm not actually sure what "Allow editable field to be radio
>> buttons or checkbox" actually means. Radio buttons and checkboxes
>> are naturally editable. I'm assuming it is referring to the fields
>> these items represent, but that could be edited using Link mode or
>> simple text.
> Yea, not very well written :).  Sorry about that.  I think what I
> meant here was that jumping off the simple text edit case.  Now we
> want to work through what it means for the inline edit field to have
> these different kinds of controls.  I'll take a looks and try to
> clean the text up.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Justin
>>

>> On 15-Sep-08, at 2:45 PM, erin yu wrote:
>>
>>> I was working on the Inline Edit landing pages and found some
>>> inconsistencies and lack of clarity in the family members' names.
>>> I would like us to agree on a set of simple names and refer to
>>> them from various wiki pages.
>>>
>>> As far as I understand, there are 6 members in the Inline Edit
>>> family.
>>>
>>> 1. Simple Text Inline Edit
>>> 2. Link Inline Edit (different than simple text in that you can't
>>> click on the text itself because it will go to the actual link)
>>> 3. Hidden Content Inline Edit (editing content tied to the
>>> subject.. please see the announcement example)
> [...]
>>> 4. Document Inline Edit (editing rich text)
>>> 5. Date Picker Inline Edit
>>> 6. Dropdown Inline Edit (rather than Constrained Choices Inline
>>> Edit)
>>>
>>> Let me know if this seems inaccurate or if you have any other
>>> suggestions.
>>>
>>> If this looks good, I'll update the wiki with these names.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Erin