Design Patterns library name change (domain name and branding)

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 12 23:47:35 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Daphne and I talked a little about this. I think it's an interesting
idea to call it a "community" rather than a "library," but I'm not
sure how large of a community we'll be able to build if we only have a
short time, and over time I think the legacy we will really be able to
leave is the library we created. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea,
but think we need to think about our goals for the system and what we
want to emphasize in order to determine whether to change that part of
the name. I'm also not sure we'll get to the point where we include
patterns other than UI patterns, but I do agree that this is possible.

Back in the day talking with Colin about this I think we decided to
call it "Open Source" because we wanted to emphasize that these were
patterns from open source software communities, with open source
software examples. I could see de-emphasizing that part of it however
to make it even more open (e.g. to anyone).

How about "Open Design Pattern Library" with a URL of http://www.opendesignpatterns.org/
  (it's available). Then we could later change the name to Open Design
Pattern Community if it made sense.

I also strongly agree that we should create a separate logo for this
library. Maybe we could put out some kind of contest to the list,
pointing them to our mission statement and any other relevant high
level goals?

Cheers,
Allison

Allison Bloodworth