Reorderer behaviour -- more discussion

antranig at caret.cam.ac.uk antranig at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 02:45:39 UTC 2008

After a bit of tinkering, I think I must unfortunately conclude that the
"avatar shrinkage" issues cannot be a matter for the Reorderer but can
only be dealt with in user CSS. Basically the user has so much control
over the avatar markup that really only they can know and apply a
correct strategy for setting its size. I tried to forcibly stick CSS
width properties onto the avatar as it is created, but really it doesn't
listen (in the portal sample) - the div and CSS structure of the portal
element is just too complex for the information to trickle down correctly.

Perhaps Jacob can correct me on this, but right now my feeling is that
we will have to close FLUID-1201 as unworkable... we can certainly
extract the relevant height and width of the "old portlet" but I can't
see at the moment how we could ensure the avatar will listen, or creating
a strategy so it will.

A.