Reorderer family of components

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 10 00:26:51 UTC 2008

Hi there,

As I start design for the reorderer in the context of Sakai's
announcements tool, I realize I'm not sure where the work should live
in the wiki which leads me to where does it fall in the "family of
components" for the reorderer.   I think our naming convention could
use some work and since I need a place to put design work around this
new context it's forcing the issue.

The reorderer itself doesn't have an interface and thus there isn't
any UX design in it's space on the wiki.  So then we have the lightbox
and the layout customizer which use the reorderer.  This new context
seems to be at the same level as the lightbox and the layout
customizer -- offsprings of the reorderer.  So what to call this new
offspring or is it really the same as one of the existing?  Although
the lightbox and the reordering of announcements both use the "Drag
and Drop - list ordering design pattern" they are different user
experiences with one moving thumbnails and the other more like rows in
a table or a list.  So, I believe this new context it's own child.
And with the 3rd on the way, I think it's time for some clearer naming
of our family.

Here's a suggestion that is more closely aligned with our naming for
the inline edit family but I would love to hear other thoughts (my
suggestion is quite boring!).

Family name:  Reorderers
Children:
Thumbnail reorderer (formerly known as the lightbox)
List reorderer
Layout reorderer ( or we could stick with "layout customizer" as it
sounds better and is clearer but then it wouldn't match it's siblings
names :))

What do you all think?

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer