GNU License Ok?

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 9 21:54:20 UTC 2008

Hi Blake,

There are two types of GNU licenses: the General Public License (GPL)
and the Lesser General Public License (LGPL). The license file you've
attached, which is for LimeSurvey, is the standard GPL version 2.

Unfortunately, the GPL and the licenses we use for Fluid don't really
play nice together. Licensing is a complex and religious issue, so I
won't go into a lot of detail here. Suffice it to say that the GPL
requires that any code linking to a GPL program must itself be
licensed under the GPL. Our licenses don't require this. The end
result is that you you can't really combine them.

The BSD half of our licensing policy makes it easy for GPL users to
take advantage of our code without compromise. Unfortunately, the
reverse isn't true; GPL code can't flow upstream into our own work.

The LGPL is a bit more relaxed in this way, and might potentially be
compatible with Fluid, but should be reviewed careful by the community
beforehand.

Unfortunately, all of this legal stuff means we won't be able to reuse
LimeSurvey. :(

Colin