Reorderer behaviour -- more discussion

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Tue Sep 9 18:55:57 UTC 2008

Thank you Gary.  One of the problems with this issue, is that we don't
really have a way to do comparison testing with users.  Now that we're
discussing this in the open fluid-work list, I can put a question
directly to the developers:

Would it be possible to create a version of the reorderer that sets the
position of the drop target not with reference to the pointer position,
but with reference to the centre of gravity of the avatar?  Since the
avatar and pointer are locked together during the drag, this would seem
to me to be a simple fixed translation of coordinates, but I don't know
enough about the implementation details to guess if it's easy or
difficult.  Anyway, if we had such a thing, we could easily do user
testing to find out which they preferred:

    * targets that move with the pointer
    * targets that move with the centre of the avatar

I'm suggesting using the centre as tracking point, simply because it's
the most obvious alternative to following the cursor position. There may
be other loci that could be considered.

I'll respond to Gary's responses within his message below.

Paul

Gary Thompson wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I'm cc'ing fluid-work so everyone can appreciate the questions and
> digest the responses.
>
> Great questions.  The goal is to create an intuitive, elegant design,
> so questioning the behavior is warranted if it seems to not match your
> expectations.
>
> As Colin mentioned, the Reorder - and thus the Layout Customizer - are
> currently moving targets.  The target movement was initiated from the
> user testing done on the first integration environment, which reported
> unusable response and behavior.  Refer to the user testing results:
> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/2Ys7
>
> Three comments:
>
> 1. Context is king.
> How drag and drop behaves will be specific to context.  The examples
> on the Layout Customizer springboard:
> http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/fluid-components/html/LayoutCustomizer.html
>

> ...actually represent something closer to list reordering, which by
> context will have a different behavior.  What most currently
> represents the Layout Customizer, is the uPortal integration here:
> http://build.fluidproject.org/uPortal/render.userLayoutRootNode.uP
I totally agree that context is king.  That's why I tried out all the
different examples of the reorderer on the demos page.  I found that I
had the same difficulty with all of them,  which led me to think that
the problem was below the application level.

> 2. The grab handle can be defined.
> And is defined to be just the portlet title bar in the Layout
> Customizer integration in uPortal (rather than the whole portlet).
> This should help alleviate the confusion of location of the drag
> avatar to cursor, though we may find in further testing that that is
> still an issue.
Yes, I noticed this.  It's harder to demonstrate with the Layout
Customizer because the grab area is smaller.  But you can show the
effect by grabbing at the left or right end of the grab area.  The
behaviour of the drop indicator is more consistent with a limited grab
area, but it still feels strange if the grab area is at the edge of the
element I'm grabbing.

This of course gives us another thing to test.  Do users prefer to have
a large area where they can grab an element, or should it be limited to
a specific "grab me here" region?

> 3. The drag avatar may need to be minimized in uPortal.
> The size of a portlet in uPortal is highly variable, and user testing
> has already uncovered the unwieldiness of large portlets being dragged
> in a preview mode.  It may turn out that for uPortal, we revert to an
> earlier design that more closely resembled the Yahoo behavior at the
> time - a small grey box as the drag avatar, and a non-preview, colored
> line as the drop indicator.
A smaller avatar might help, but I still think it skirts the issue of
where the drop indicator appears.