Survey tool for VULab

Michael S Elledge elledge at msu.edu
Fri Sep 5 19:57:43 UTC 2008

Hi Ron--

Ohio State University made a thorough review of online survey tools and
found that SurveyGizmo had the best accessibility by far. Here is what
Ken Petri (from OSU) said recently with respect to an inquiry about
Zoomerang:

See our Survey of Surveys:

http://wac.osu.edu/workshops/survey_of_surveys/

Zoomerang leaves much to be desired regarding accessibility.

Note that our information about LimeSurvey is out of date. The
developer got back with us and explained in detail where our critique
had problems. We will update this over the next month.

Some advice for SG: When you create a survey with SurveyGizmo, make
the questions headings: First turn off automatic numbering, then, for
the question itself, put in HTML that makes the question a heading and
give the question element a tabindex of 0, so it can accept keyboard
focus via the tab key: <h2 tabindex="0">12. What makes SG so good for
accessibility?</h2>. This technique, which is trivial to implement in
SG and difficult or impossible in the other tools, helps a lot with
accessibility for screen reader users and users who need to use the
keyboard only to navigate pages.

So SG would be my suggestion.  :^)

Mike