New issue type in Jira

Knoop, Peter knoop at umich.edu
Thu Sep 4 19:07:54 UTC 2008

Hi Justin,

I've attached a screen shot showing filtering in Jira on Project, with
Sakai selected, and Issue Type, with Sub-task selected.  If I wanted to
see a list that returned just the Tasks, then I could select Issue
Type=Tasks.  If I wanted everything but Sub-tasks, I would select Issue
Type=Branch, Bug, Contributed Patch, Feature Request, Task (which are
all the other issue types we use in that project); you can also select
"Standard Issue Types" or "Sub-Task Issue Types", if you want everything
in that category, rather than selecting them all individually.
(Depending on how you have your Jira configured, you may need to specify
a project first, then utilize the link in the "blah blah blah...Click
here to refresh" alert, before it adds the drop-down for Issue Type to
your filtering choices.)

I'm not sure now, however, that I understand correctly what you're
trying to achieve.  I thought initially you were just trying to figure
out how to filter Sub-tasks to either view them or not view them as part
of the results, which we do in Sakai as described above.  It sounds
though like perhaps you are looking for a way to distinguish different
kinds of sub-tasks?  In other words, some of your sub-tasks are "Tasks"
and you might leave those as type "Sub-task", whereas other sub-tasks
are "Bugs" and you want those to be type "Sub-bug" (or Sub-issue)?  That
way could filter on an issue type of "Sub-bug" and not see Bugs or
Sub-tasks (or any other issue type) in the results?  If that's your goal
- distinguishing different types of Sub-Tasks, rather than Sub-tasks
from standard Issue types -- then it sounds like you're already on the
right track, and I'm just distracting you :)

-peter