New issue type in Jira

Justin justin.obara at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 4 18:47:42 UTC 2008

**I initially only replied to Peter. I am resending this to the list.**

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the comments/feedback. Please see response inline below

Thank You
Justin
On 4-Sep-08, at 2:29 PM, Knoop, Peter wrote:

> Justin, perhaps you already tried this and it didn't fit your needs,
> but
> you can explicitly specify "Sub-tasks" as an Issue Type to filter on
> in
> Jira;

Not too sure how to do this. It seems that the type is sub-task and I
can't see any place to tell it to use a different type for filtering.
It could be that we are using a different version, have a different
setup, or I am just missing it. If you could send me a link to
instructions or a screenshot of how to do this, it would be helpful.

> or select the other types and exclude it, if you don't want
> Sub-tasks in your results.

This is sort of the problem we are running into now. The sub-tasks
aren't always tasks, but bugs. This means that if I create a filter
that looks for sub-tasks I'll get too many and if I exclude sub-tasks
I get too few.

> (At least this is true in recent versions of
> Jira.)  That's the approach we take with Sakai's Jira.  The downside
> for
> substituting a new issue type, rather than using the built-in sub-
> issue
> support, is that you lose all the nifty sub-issue features, like the
> automated linking,  the sub-issue status summary in the parent issue's
> view, an easy way to create sub-issues from the parent issue, etc.

I have actually been able to preserve all of this. Basically Jira
allowed me to create a new issue type. It could either inherit from
Issue or sub-task. I chose to inherit from sub-task. This means that
it behaves as a sub-task would but allows for the separation of tasks
and bugs when filtering. A kind of best of both worlds. In theory
anyways.