Reorderer behaviour

Gary Thompson gary at unicon.net
Thu Sep 4 17:46:34 UTC 2008

Paul,

I'm cc'ing fluid-work so everyone can appreciate the questions and
digest the responses.

Great questions.  The goal is to create an intuitive, elegant design, so
questioning the behavior is warranted if it seems to not match your
expectations.

As Colin mentioned, the Reorder - and thus the Layout Customizer - are
currently moving targets.  The target movement was initiated from the
user testing done on the first integration environment, which reported
unusable response and behavior.  Refer to the user testing results:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/2Ys7

Three comments:

1. Context is king.
How drag and drop behaves will be specific to context.  The examples on
the Layout Customizer springboard:
http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/fluid-components/html/LayoutCustomizer.html

...actually represent something closer to list reordering, which by
context will have a different behavior.  What most currently represents
the Layout Customizer, is the uPortal integration here:
http://build.fluidproject.org/uPortal/render.userLayoutRootNode.uP

2. The grab handle can be defined.
And is defined to be just the portlet title bar in the Layout Customizer
integration in uPortal (rather than the whole portlet).  This should
help alleviate the confusion of location of the drag avatar to cursor,
though we may find in further testing that that is still an issue.

3. The drag avatar may need to be minimized in uPortal.
The size of a portlet in uPortal is highly variable, and user testing
has already uncovered the unwieldiness of large portlets being dragged
in a preview mode.  It may turn out that for uPortal, we revert to an
earlier design that more closely resembled the Yahoo behavior at the
time - a small grey box as the drag avatar, and a non-preview, colored
line as the drop indicator.

Gary