JIRA cloning and issue templates

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 3 22:31:19 UTC 2008

Thanks so much for looking into this Gary! The subtasks issue isn't a
big deal for us with the Design Framework tasks as (at least
currently) there are no subtasks. However, it seems to me that
exploring #2 could save us a LOT of time. If we could just run a
script to create all the design tasks we'd need for a component it
would help a lot.

I'm sure we'll get faster as time goes on, but Daphne and I probably
took over an hour to enter all our tasks for Inline Edit and last
night it probably took me an *at least* an hour to enter all the
dependencies on them. In the end I found the only way to look at both
the Design Framework example tasks AND the Inline Edit tasks was to
have two browsers open because it appears shared cookies between tabs
will mess up your filters if you're using more than one. There are
also TONS of opportunities for error with this copying process (and
when you do screw up and make an error it takes even longer).

Should we enter a JIRA task for exploring the creation of a script to
create our tasks and dependencies? At a quick glance, there are a
couple examples on the Jelly reference from Gary (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/jelly.html
) that I think may apply to what we are doing:

Create and assign issue

<JiraJelly xmlns:jira="jelly:com.atlassian.jira.jelly.JiraTagLib">
   <jira:CreateIssue project-key="TST" summary="My Issue summary"
issueKeyVar="keyvar"/>
   <jira:AssignIssue key="${keyvar}" assignee="testuser"/>
</JiraJelly>

Create Issue and Comment

<JiraJelly xmlns:jira="jelly:com.atlassian.jira.jelly.JiraTagLib">
   <jira:CreateIssue project-key="TP" issueType="Bug" summary="Issue
summary" issueKeyVar="key"/>
   <jira:AddComment issue-key="${key}" comment="A comment on ${key}"/>
</JiraJelly>

Cheers,
Allison