JIRA cloning and issue templates

Gary Thompson gary at unicon.net
Wed Sep 3 16:24:25 UTC 2008

All,

I did some research on cloning JIRA issues with subtasks and the
possibility of setting up a "template" of JIRA issues corresponding to
the newly documented Fluid project process.  Here's what I found:

1. Cloned JIRA issues can now also clone subtasks.  The newer version of
JIRA includes this functionality.  Now when cloning an issue, there is a
checkbox for cloning subtasks of the issue.  The checkbox is checked by
default.  The cloned issue must have subtasks for this function to do
anything.
Reference: http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3742

2. JIRA can be scripted with a scripting language called Jelly.  By
writing and running a Jelly script, it appears possible to automate the
administrative process of creating/cloning the JIRA tasks that map to
the Fluid process for each component.
Reference: http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4029
Reference: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/jelly.html

Gary