Uploader problems

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 3 14:28:27 UTC 2008

It gets worse! This from the SWF uploader site:
<quote>
Security Change
The response from Adobe on the Adobe Forms is that a security change
in Flash Player 10 prevents indirect calls display to File Dialogs.

This means that the SWFUpload JavaScript API cannot trigger the File
Dialog in Flash. Which means SWFUpload is permanently broken for Flash
Player 10.

We have 4 options:

1. Hope Adobe will have mercy and roll back this change and save
SWFUpload.
2. SWFUpload support ends at Flash Player 9 and is not moved to Flash
Player 10 (in other words, the project dies in 6 months to a year
after the release of Flash Player 10).
3. Change the SWFUpload whole design philosophy dropping the
JavaScript API (at least the portion that triggers File Dialogs and
starts/stops/cancels uploads) and forcing a Flash Movie UI on our users.
4. Try to implement a kind of mix of Flash UI and HTML UI and
complicate things by making the Flash UI configurable enough to match
the HTML UI.

Unless Adobe is going to take their FileReference APIs serious and fix
the bugs that are plaguing us (mod_security issues, data return
issues, IO Error issues, Linux compatibility, etc) then I don't see a
very bright future for any Flash based upload component. Is it worth
the fight?

	• Login or register to post comments

</quote>

John