Progress Indicators - Rough Draft (please comment)

Justin justin.obara at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 2 13:18:16 UTC 2008

Hello,

Thanks you for your comments. I have made some changes to the page (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Component+Progress+Indicator
) based on suggestions made including a green progress indicator, a
table, and etc. After another comment or two I'll make an example
including the features that people most like.

Please see additional comments inline below.

Thanks
Justin

On 29-Aug-08, at 2:35 PM, Allison Bloodworth wrote:

> Very nice Justin! One general comment--I think the vertical line
> above the feature should also change color when it's done.

Actually this is the case already. What may be confusing is that the
tick represents the start of a new item. That means that when it is
not coloured in, it hasn't been started/completed. Maybe there is a
better way to indicate this. Please let me know.

> Otherwise it looks like it's still in progress to me. A few other
>
> On Aug 29, 2008, at 10:39 AM, Justin wrote:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Justin <justin.obara at utoronto.ca>
>>> Date: August 29, 2008 1:39:45 PM GMT-04:00
>>> To: Jonathan Hung <jonathan.hung at utoronto.ca>
>>> Subject: Re: Progress Indicators - Rough Draft (please comment)
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> see comments inline below
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Justin

> I also like the words better for the same reason.

It gets a little tricky when the feature is more complex, but links
and tooltips should help this.

>>> I have put some of the examples in panels, and put up a few
>>> different color schemes.
>
> I agree, the info box may not be right, but it might be helpful see
> it in the context of a component page to decide for sure.

That's a good idea, when all of the other features of the progress
indicator have been worked out we can try both. It is fairly easy to
switch between the two.

>>> The links may be less necessary when they are on the actual
>>> component pages.
>
> I love the links to the storycards! I put in anchors on the inline
> edit storycards which you should be able to use as well.

Thank you for adding in the anchors.  I have added the links to the
first Inline Edit example.

>>> I like this idea, but not too sure how to implement it. Any
>>> thoughts.. maybe if they were in columns... I'll see if I can cook
>>> up an example of that.
>
> A while back I added the Confluence HTML plug-in (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEXT/HTML+Plugin
> ). You might be able to use this to make tables more easily?

I have made an example (at the bottom of the page) using a table as
the progress indicator. As for columns, that didn't work so well.

>>> I'm not sure if it should show partial progress. One of the
>>> uploader examples shows partial progress. Any thoughts on this? It
>>> may turn out that the features won't even have a usable partially
>>> complete state.
>>>

> It would be helpful to me to know what features the developers are
> actually working on, even if they don't end up being finished.
> However, it might be difficult to keep it updated, so I can always
> just ping them if this is too much work. Then there is also the
> question of whether we show that a feature is in the design process
> and then also development process (e.g. use different colors and the
> first part of the progress bar for design and second part for
> development)? Again, might be too much maintenance, but I think
> that's your call.

That will definitely add complexity to the maintenance, but maybe
worth it if it helps people. I have made two examples of a three
coloured progress indicator; one in the Simple Inline Edit example and
one using the table. The colours still need to be worked out though.