Signing Javascript

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Fri Nov 28 21:28:26 UTC 2008

Hi David,

On 28-Nov-08, at 12:45 PM, David Makalsky wrote:

> Do we have a fluid standard for signing javascript?  Does anyone have
> any experience signing javascript?

It's a pretty unusual case to have to deal with signed scripts. In
general, JavaScript is untrusted code running within the browser
sandbox. Fluid components have to work within this environment and not
impose and additional hurdles for the user, so it's never been an issue.

When it comes to working with signed applets across LiveConnect, I've
really never encountered this issue in the wild, but a few interesting
tidbits popped up using The Google:

http://jontayler.blogspot.com/2006/08/java-signed-applet-security-insanity.html

If you really want to try signing your JavaScript, I found this old
article about signing scripts in Firefox. It looks like you'll have to
distribute your JS code in a JAR file, which is a pretty odd
deployment profile for JavaScript code. Be sure to test extensively
across browsers. Hopefully this will help:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/signed-scripts.html

As for general feedback about JavaScript development, I'd suggest you
move your JavaScript code out of onclick handlers in the HTML and into
your rascal.js file, binding event handlers unobtrusively. A toolkit
like jQuery will simplify this for you a lot. I'd also suggest you
keep the functions in rascal.js out of the global namespace to avoid
collisions. All easy fixes, and there's tons of documentation in the
Fluid wiki to help you with it:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/DHTML+Developer+Checklist
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Fearless+JavaScript+Workshop