Signing Javascript

David Makalsky dmakalsky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:45:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am running into some issues when I am calling my Java Applet
functions from within a JS function.

(All Source available at http://rascal.xymbo.com and view source)

For example, when I call the following function:
function startRecordingApplet(){
	document.rascal.startRecording();
}

it is supposed to call the startRecording() method from within the
ScreencastApplet class.

I am getting the following stack trace:

java.security.PrivilegedActionException:
	at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.liveconnect.SecureInvocation.CallMethod(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.javascript.JSInvoke.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.javascript.JSClassLoader.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.liveconnect.PrivilegedCallMethodAction.run(Unknown Source)
	... 4 more
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.util.PropertyPermission user.dir read)
	at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

After doing some research online, I have come to the conclusion that
the Javascript which calls Applet functionality which needs the applet
to be signed, itself needs to be signed as well.

Do we have a fluid standard for signing javascript?  Does anyone have
any experience signing javascript?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
--
David Makalsky