Styling Unknown Markup

Michelle D'Souza michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 13 17:37:14 UTC 2008

> I think this page does a good job of showing the progress we're
> making on being able to restyle unfamiliar markup. To help make this
> clear, I've resized the images on the page so it's easier to compare
> them, and I've added a couple of introductory paragraphs at the top
> of the page explaining them.

Thanks Colin. I have added the dynamic restyling to our portal example
so people can see it live from trunk. This will let everyone see the
progress on the skins as it happens. Anastasia has added a link on the
build site. I'm glad that you pointed out that this is the worst-case
scenario. I've intentionally used markup that we didn't create
(scraped from uPortal in this case) to ensure a real test.

> Again, this is an illustration of the worst-case scenario. Assuming
> we've been given completely unfamiliar markup, what effect will
> transforming it have? If you compare the older results at the bottom
> of the page to those at the top, you can see our strategy is
> evolving quickly. I don't expect it to ever be perfect; there will
> be other options for authors to implement if they want a more subtle
> and complete effect. This is a good first step.

Michelle

Michelle D'Souza
Software Developer, Fluid Project
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre