Picking Time

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 11 22:42:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

On 11-Nov-08, at 1:14 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
> To the point about accessibility. While the current implementation
> is not accessible, with addition of some arrow key handlers this
> would be very accessible.

I guess the real answer to this question depends on how you define
"accessible." Just adding arrow key handlers won't necessarily make
the user interface more accessible in itself. It's a pretty dynamic
interface, so we'd also need to think about ways to cue users into the
changing spatial structure of the widget.

In the current implementation, you can edit the time with the keyboard
by simply entering it into the form field. This basic interaction
might suffice for some keyboard-only users, but it might be sub-
optimal. I guess we'd have to do some testing to know for sure.

That said, I think there's a larger problem with this particular time
picker. In my hands, it feels jerky and hard to control. I think it
requires far too much fine motor control for any user, regardless of
ability. It doesn't take Fitt's Law into account, and the interaction
suffers as a result.

Put simply, bigger things are easier to it. Closer things are also
easier to hit. In this example, the targets are too small, and there's
not enough "squishiness" or forgiveness between cells in the time
picker. Worse yet, you can't move the mouse diagonally to acquire
targets that are farther away. This makes it much more likely that
you'll accidently hit the wrong thing and the whole UI will shift over
unintentionally.

Let me try to illustrate with a little picture: