Styling Unknown Markup

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 11 15:09:46 UTC 2008

Hi Michelle,

On 10-Nov-08, at 3:12 PM, michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca wrote:

>> Just to add another side note:perhaps it would be a little clearer
>> if we
>> showcased the results one feature at a time - the current images
>> are a
>> little jarring!
>>

> Perhaps I shouldn't have linked to the wiki page as it just confused
> the issue. That page wasn't meant to convey the issues but was a
> convenient place for people to see where we are currently given that
> we are still working in the sandbox. I'll move the UI Options work out
> of the sandbox on Wednesday when I'm back at work and the live
> examples on the build site will fill that need.

I think this page does a good job of showing the progress we're making
on being able to restyle unfamiliar markup. To help make this clear,
I've resized the images on the page so it's easier to compare them,
and I've added a couple of introductory paragraphs at the top of the
page explaining them.

Again, this is an illustration of the worst-case scenario. Assuming
we've been given completely unfamiliar markup, what effect will
transforming it have? If you compare the older results at the bottom
of the page to those at the top, you can see our strategy is evolving
quickly. I don't expect it to ever be perfect; there will be other
options for authors to implement if they want a more subtle and
complete effect. This is a good first step.