Personas and Behavioural Axes Analysis

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 10:32:45 UTC 2008

On 2 Nov 2008, at 18:59, Nathan Pearson wrote:
> More over, is any investment in design worth while if this community
> is unwilling to stick through a disciplined implementation effort
> where teams are committed to quality, attention to detail, and a
> common, reasonably scoped design spec?
>
> Nathan

I think the answer has to be Yes, investment in design is worthwhile -
especially if you believe design-led development produces a better
result. However, we are in transition. Our community will have a
varied history on how well 'design-led' works, many may not have much
experience, some will have bad experiences and many may not really
understand very well how their lives would be better in this brave new
world. We will need to work hard to get over the 'activation energy'
barrier and show ourselves that we can and should work this way. The
scepticism is not unreasonable (and I still share it to some extent
because I haven't yet seen it work as I would like) and I can see that
this situation will be frustrating for the UX lead, but I believe
minds are open and if we can answer the "Show me the money" question
there will be a transformation.

John N